Today, Azul is launching Zulu Embedded, a new offering for developers and manufacturers in the embedded, mobile and Internet of Things (IoT) markets requiring 100% open source, customizable, reduced-footprint, and standards compliant Java SE runtimes and development solutions.
WHAT IS ZULU EMBEDDED?
- A new OpenJDK-based Java platform targeting Embedded, Mobile, and robust, high-function IoT designs
- A 100% open source & customizable Java SE solution, compliant with Java versions 6, 7, and 8
- With a flexible pricing model that greatly reduces costs associated with traditional embedded Java licensing
- At launch, there are already over 2 million devices worldwide using Zulu Embedded
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Embedded systems developers who want a standards compliant, fully tested and lower-cost Java solution for their existing and next-generation designs
- IoT developers who have not considered Java in the past due to footprint, complexity, or licensing cost concerns
Zulu Embedded is 100% open source and is based on OpenJDK, the Java Community project where Java is developed and evolved. Zulu Embedded allows developers to utilize a Java SE standards compliant package to suit their specific support and configuration needs, including tailoring by:
- Target operating system
- 32 or 64-bit architecture
- Java version (6, 7, or 8)
- Installed image footprint
- Headless or headful configuration
- Distribution and packaging options
- Required Java components
Each Zulu Embedded build is verified by Azul using the Java Community Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK) and other rigorous testing necessary for long-term embedded use.
Thinking about Java for your next design?
For new designs, Zulu Embedded delivers all the power and richness of the Java platform. It is designed to speed time to market, reduce required component costs, and increase developer productivity. As a 100% open source solution, costs associated with traditional Java licensing are greatly reduced. Zulu Embedded Support pricing models are flexible, and include per device, per user, flat rate and customer-specific plans.
“Zulu Embedded is a game-changer for the embedded, mobile and IoT markets,” said Scott Sellers, Azul Systems president and CEO. “As a 100% open source solution already proven in millions of devices, Zulu Embedded greatly reduces costs associated with traditional Java licensing, making it compelling for a broad set of high volume and industrial embedded products that require a robust, customizable, standards compliant Java runtime.”
Azul Systems has been delivering Java-based platforms for mission-critical uses since 2005. Azul customers have access to the latest bug fixes and security updates and long-term (10-year) support. Zulu Embedded is a compelling choice for Java-based products such as routers and switches, ATM machines, Point of Sale (POS) systems, avionics systems, RFID readers, automotive electronics, as well as robust, high-function designs throughout the IoT.
451 Group Perspective
Brian Partridge, VP, 451 Research Mobility team, said: “Today’s market for embedded computing and M2M applications is wrought with fragmentation and high costs. For the industry to take the next step towards realizing the expansive vision of IoT, development environments built on open source technologies have the potential to deliver the flexibility, economics, and time to market advantages needed to match an increasingly long set of compelling use cases. Zulu Embedded provides an intriguing, pure open source solution for the IoT and embedded markets requiring a robust Java SE implementation.”
Zulu Embedded is available immediately for a wide variety of operating systems, hardware platforms and Java versions 6, 7, and 8.
Complete, certified builds of Zulu, Azul’s build of OpenJDK, are available as free downloads from the Azul website, Azul’s apt-get and yum repositories, the Microsoft Azure Cloud, and via the Docker Hub.