Newly Combined BATS-Direct Edge To Offer Customers Best-In-Class Connectivity, Cost Efficiency, and Network Choice
BATS Global Markets (BATS) and Equinix,Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that BATS has selected Equinix as its primary data center provider for all of the BATS exchange platforms, including the Direct Edge Exchanges—EDGA and EDGX. BATS and Direct Edge completed their merger January 31. â¨â¨The Direct Edge Exchanges—EDGA and EDGX—will remain at their current location at Equinix's NY4 data center in Secaucus, N.J. until January 2015 when they will migrate to BATS' technology in Equinix's NY5 data center.
In the second quarter of 2015, the BATS BZX and BYX Exchanges, and BATS Options, will move to NY5 from their current location of NJ2 in Weehawken, N.J.
Equinix is home to the largest collection of exchanges and trading platforms, top market data vendors, a myriad of service providers, and hundreds of buy-side and sell-side firms. Equinix's New York-area data centers serve many of the world's largest companies, including high concentrations of financial services companies such as BATS, and provide access to more than 700 businesses and 135 network service providers.
"As we begin the integration of Direct Edge to the BATS technology, expanding our partnership with Equinix is a critical step for the expanded BATS Global Markets and, more importantly, our customers," said Chris Isaacson, Executive Vice President & Global Chief Information Officer, BATS. "Choosing Equinix as our primary data center provider, and leveraging its tremendous trading ecosystem in Secaucus, provides the type of continuity and cost efficiency which is paramount to these customers."
"We're pleased to announce this agreement with a market leader like BATS Global Markets, particularly as financial technologies are evolving and converging faster than ever. BATS understands that one of the keys to success lies not just in what you deploy, but where you deploy," said Karl Strohmeyer, president, Americas, Equinix. "In today's networked world, financial services companies need to position their systems for maximum connectivity, performance and agility in order to keep ahead of fast moving trends. With the global network of Equinix data centers, BATS can achieve proximity hosting requirements while tapping into a financial services ecosystem with all the major market players."
All BATS and Direct Edge Exchanges will operate on their respective technology in their existing data centers until the technical integration is complete in January 2015.
- NY5 is a state-of-the-art data center that is part of the Equinix Secaucus campus. It is approximately one-half mile west of NY4 and can be accessed via an Equinix IBX cross-connect from both NY4 and NY2.
- BATS will maintain a network Point-of-Presence (PoP) in NY4 and NJ2 indefinitely. This will allow current Direct Edge Member connections in NY4 and BATS Member connections in NJ2 to access all BATS/Direct Edge Exchanges without interruption once they are moved to NY5.
- To ensure a seamless transition to NY5 while preserving the ecosystem in NY4, BATS will engineer connectivity from both NY4 and NY5 to all BATS/Direct Edge matching engines in NY5 to be equal latency for the foreseeable future.
- In addition to Secaucus, BATS utilizes Equinix's London Slough data center campus LD4 which provides a secure, low-latency, high-performance trading environment for BATS Chi-X Europe's integrated and dark electronic trading books.
- The BATS and Direct Edge Exchanges secondary data centers will remain in Chicago at the CH4 data center with a PoP at CH1.