Back to all announcements

MTS Strategic Consolidation Process with Euronext and Borsa Italiana Finalised

MTS S.p.A. is pleased to announce its new ownership structure following the acquisition of the Company in 2005 by the Euronext and Borsa Italiana joint venture.

With effect from January 2006, MBE Holding, the joint venture company, will become the principal shareholder in MTS S.p.A. with an interest of 60.37%. MBE Holding, registered in Italy, is 51% owned by Euronext NV with the remaining 49% held by Borsa Italiana S.p.A.

In addition, seven banking groups chose to further increase their respective shareholdings in MTS S.p.A., while three banks will become investors for the first time through the purchase of shares. The number of banking groups that will own shares in MTS S.p.A. will total 27.

The seven banking groups which will increase their respective shareholdings compared to the levels applicable prior to the capital restructure are: San Paolo IMI[1], Barclays Bank, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan, Lehman Brothers and Société Générale. New shareholders will include: HSBC, IXIS CIB and Royal Bank of Scotland.

Of the 27 banking groups, American banks will account for 26%, British (23%), French (18%), Italian and German (13% each), Dutch (6%) and Swiss (1%).